The Wheel of Time season 2: Release date, trailer, plot, latest news
Our heroes are back and the stakes are higher than ever.
It’s been a long wait, but The Wheel of Time is finally back on our screens.
Based on Robert Jordan’s famous book series, the second season of Prime Video’s fantasy series sees Rosamund Pike return as the sorceress Moiraine Damodred, a member of the Aes Sedai, an organisation of women who can channel the One Power.
The second season also sees a major cast switch up, with actors Maja Simonsen, Ragga Ragnars, Jay Duffy and Rima Te Wiata joining the show in new roles, while major character Mat Cauthon has been recast, and is being played by Dónal Finn rather than Barney Harris.
The first season saw Moiraine and her bodyguard al’Lan Mandragoran (Daniel Henney) track down five young people from a village by the Two Rivers in the hopes of finding the Dragon Reborn - the one prophesied to take on the evil Dark One in the form of a human champion.
As Moiraine and the Dragon Reborn journeyed to the Eye of the World in the final episode of the first season, fans will be wondering what to expect of the second run.
Here is all we know about the second season of The Wheel of Time.
The Wheel of Time season 2 release date
The first three episodes of The Wheel of Time season 2 was released 1st September 2023 with new episodes premiering weekly.
The release date announcement was accompanied by a bunch of first-look images of the upcoming season, and it's clear that the stakes are higher than ever before.
The story won't end there, though, with showrunner Rafe Judkins confirming that there will be a season 3.
Who stars in The Wheel of Time season 2?
Many characters in the cast of the first season of The Wheel of Time will return. Those sure to be back in action are:
- Rosamund Pike as the Aes Sedai teacher Moiraine Damodred
- Daniel Henney as her ward and bodyguard al'Lan Mandragoran
- Josha Stradowski as the Dragon Reborn himself Rand al’Thor
- Madeleine Madden is back as his love interest and Aes Sedai-in-training, Egwene al'Vere
- Marcus Rutherford as Perrin Aybara
- Zoë Robins as the wilful Nynaeve al’Meara
- Kate Fleetwood as Aes Sedai warrior Liandrin Guirale
- Priyanka Bose as Moiraine’s Aes Sedai friend and green warrior Alanna Mosvani
- Sophie Okonedo as the Amyrlin Seat and Moiraine's love interest, Siuan Sanche
- Kate Alexander as the seer Min Farshaw
- Hammed Animashaun as Loial
However, Barney Harris will not return to the series as troubled Mat Cauthon.
The character will be recast in the second season with Dónal Finn playing the role, with no reason yet given for the recast.
Meanwhile, there are plenty of new faces set to join the cast. The new cast members confirmed are:
- Maja Simonsen as Chiad
- Ragga Ragnars as Bain
- Jay Duffy as Dain Bornhald
- Rima Te Wiata as Sheriam Bayanar
- Ceara Coveney as Elayne Trakand
- Natasha O'Keeffe as Lanfear
- Meera Syal as Verin Mathwin
Is there a trailer for The Wheel of Time season 2?
Yes! The official trailer for season 2 showed plenty of the action set to come.
Watch it below:
The Wheel of Time season 2 plot
Given that the first season of The Wheel of Time is mostly made up of the events of the first novel in the book series, titled The Eye of the World, we can probably expect the second season to tackle events in the second novel, titled The Great Hunt.
This book sees Rand, Perrin and Mat caught up in the mission of an army of Shienaren guards.
Meanwhile, Egwene and Nynaeve meet the future major character known as Elayne Trakand. These female characters join Moiraine on a trip to the White Tower in Tar Valon to learn the ways of the Aes Sedai.
Events reach another turning point when an army invades the Western Coast. It is unknown if the second run will contain the events from other novels into its episode count.
The opening episode of the second season of The Wheel of Time is entitled A Taste of Solitude.
Read more about The Wheel of Time season 2
- The Wheel of Time season 2 review: Darker and more magical than ever
- The Wheel of Time's Mat Cauthon recast explained: Who is new actor Dónal Finn?
- How did The Wheel of Time season 1 end? Full recap
- The Wheel of Time books in order and guide to series
- The Wheel of Time cast: Full list of main characters and actors
- Will there be The Wheel of Time season 3?
The Wheel of Time season 2 will drop on Prime Video on 1st September – you can sign up now for a free 30-day Prime Video trial. You can also order The Wheel of Time novels on Amazon.
Want to visit Game of Thrones locations in Croatia at a discount? Radio Times is offering savings of up to 7% for registered users booking their next holiday with travel website Expedia. Claim your exclusive Radio Times Expedia holiday discount now.
Check out more of our Fantasy coverage or visit our TV Guide and Streaming Guide to see what's on tonight.
Try Radio Times magazine today and get 10 issues for only £10, PLUS a £10 John Lewis and Partners voucher delivered to your home – subscribe now. For more from the biggest stars in TV, listen to The Radio Times Podcast.